HP POD 240a
Thinking outside the box – in more ways than one We’ve all heard the expression “think outside the box”, I Binged it and found this at phrases.org.uk: 'Think outside the box' originated in the USA in the late 1960s/early 1970s. It has become something of a cliché, especially in the business world. Various authors from the world of management consultancy claim to have introduced the phrase. The earliest citation that I have found comes from the weekly magazine of the US aviation industry - Aviation Week & Space Technology, July 1975: "We must step back and see if the solutions to our problems lie outside the box.” OK, so having established that, I’d like you to think about taking data centers “out of the box” – both figuratively and literally. Figuratively by re-thinking what a Data Center is. It’s not necessarily that huge, expensive chunk of real estate in your company’s Headquarters –perhaps buried in the basement. And literally – physically remove the Data Center from that big box building! HP has developed a great alternative to spending huge amounts of time and money to build a traditional Data Center.
The HP Performance Optimized Data Center (POD) 240a is a high-performance, turnkey, modular solution with integrated power, Adaptive Cooling Technology, powerful facility and IT management and monitoring systems, and fire suppression and security systems. When compared to a traditional monolithic data center, the HP POD 240a can be up and running in just 12 weeks instead of 24 months—or up to 88 percent faster 1 and at a quarter of the cost. Once deployed it can deliver near-perfect energy efficiency of up to 95 percent.
Key features and benefits
When compared to a traditional brick-and-mortar data center, the HP POD 240a delivers just what enterprises need, and are asking for:
Lightning fast—up to 88 percent faster
- Complete turnkey pre-tested solution—including integrated power, cooling, powerful facility and IT management and monitoring systems—up and running in as little as 12 weeks
- HP Factory Express and POD-Works—the world’s first assembly line for data centers—help decrease lead-times and deliver a fully integrated, performance-validated POD with proven HP quality
- Low infrastructure demands, less site preparation and integration are needed as cooling, monitoring, and fire suppression and security systems are included
A quarter of the cost—save up to 75 percent on capital expense costs
- Standard, high-density, modular design and supply chain economies of scale reduce capital expenses, one-time engineering costs, and IT integration resources
- Fully integrated and tested IT—means greater simplification and speed of deployment Near-perfect energy efficiency—up to 95 percent less facilities energy
- PUE ratios as low as 1.05 vs. average PUEs of more than 2.4 for a traditional brick-and-mortar data center
- Up to 88 percent reduction in data center footprint, by leveraging high rack density
- Adaptive Cooling Technology intelligently adjusts power and cooling based on IT load and environmental criteria to deliver the most efficient cooling possible
HP innovation sets a new standard for modular data centers
- The unique design of the HP POD 240a provides higher rack density, more IT capacity, and peak efficiency by utilizing hot and cold aisle containment and close-coupled, Adaptive Cooling Technology
- Easy serviceability—hot aisle can be accessed without having to move racks forward
- Flexibility in design enables adjustment to changing loads
So, think outside the box – and look into the POD 240a.